Join us for an exciting trip to Korcula, Croatia! We will race in the Marco Polo Challenge, which offers sprint, olympic, and relay triathlon options. Perfect for the beginner, but challenging enough for the experienced.
Stretching out into the Adriatic Sea, Korcula boasts crystal clear waters and is said to be the birthplace of the famous explorer, Marco Polo. In addition to the race, we will enjoy a private and interactive Moreska sword dancing show, participate in a SCUBA assisted ocean cleanup, and a venture out on kayaks to explore Korcula's hidden coves and beaches.
How to book: 1) Add this to your cart, fill out the form that will appear and agree to the Terms and Conditions, submit the $300 deposit to secure your reservation, and wait for a follow-up email with additional details.
- Exploration of the ancient walls of Ston and great sea salt works
- SCUBA-assisted ocean cleanup of Korcula Bay
- Winemaking workshop featuring indigenous varieties
- Marco Polo Challenge Triathlon Festival - Sprint, Olympic, and Relay options
- Olive oil tasting and al frasco dinner with local family run business
- Kayaking exploration of Korucula bays and inlets
- Sustainable stone masonry workshop
- Moreska Sword Dancing demonstration workshop
Day 1 - Welcome! Arrival to Dubrovnik and welcome dinner with local expert-led discussion on the unique geography, history, and culture of Korucla Island and the Dalmatian Coast.
Day 2 - Learn and Experience - Depart Dubrovnik for Korcula's old town, with a stop in Ston (pronounced Stone) on the Peljesac Peninsula. We will tour the millennia old sea salt works which harvest about 500 tons of salt annually then enjoy a fresh seafood lunch with locally harvested oysters which will be in peak season following the cool winter months. Upon our early evening arrival in Korcula and apartment check-in, we will visit a local winery for dinner and a winemaking workshop featuring indigenous wines.
Day 3 - Giving Back - SCUBA assisted ocean cleanup of Korcula Harbor, the site of the swim portion of Saturday's race. We will team up with about 15 expert divers from the local SCUBA club to expand their annual cleanup - certified open water divers are welcome to assist with the underwater portion and will be provided equipment, subject to availability. The rest of us will assist from boats and the shore. That evening we will have a walking tour of Korcula's historic old town and check out the start/finish and transition area for tomorrow's race.
Day 4 - Race Day! Racers will saunter down from their apartments nestled throughout the old town prior to the start. There is a chance the crystal clear waters could still be cool enough to allow for the use of wetsuits, but the organizers will make the call the day prior. Lunch will be offered to all racers. That evening, we will have a nature walk to unwind and enjoy the fresh air of the Korcula hills, followed by a private olive oil tasting and dinner under the stars.
Day 5 - Post Race Adventure and Learn - Adventurers will have an option for the day's activities: 1) a half-day ocean kayaking exploration through the bays and inlets of Korcula with our local guide or 2) dry stone masonry workshop - a hands-on opportunity to experience how centuries of Dalmatian coast inhabitants utilized local resources to clear land for agriculture and construct buildings and objects without the aid of cement or machinery. This cultural tradition from the Neolithic Period is being preserved as a valuable expression of sustainable construction using local resources. Following the day's activities, we will have a short evening program hosted by Korcula's Moreska sword dancing team and then a free evening to enjoy the island's annual food and wine festival.
- All overnight accommodations
- All planned in-country transportation
- All meals planned by OWR and included in the agenda
- Day 1 - Dinner
- Day 2 - Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Day 3 - No meals
- Day 4 - Lunch and Dinner
- Day 5 - Lunch
- A basic food and beverage selection stocked in your apartment, including beer and wine
- All program activities
- Tours and meals in Ston
- Winemaking workshop and dinner in Korčula
- Korcula walking tour
- Race fees
- Olive oil tasting and dinner
- Kayaking adventure with lunch and guide included
- Stonemasonry workshop with lunch
- Moreska sword dancing program
Options not included in price
- Individual accommodations
- Breakfast each morning at local luxury resort
- Post-race wellness and spa package at local luxury resort
- Optional bike rental for the race
Price does not include:
- Airfare to and from the arrival airport - Dubrovnik
- Meals not listed specifically in the agenda
- Personal costs as described the Terms and Condition
- Travel and health insurance - see FAQ page for available options